Master Materials Science and Engineering (MSE)
MASTER MATERIALS SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING MSE
The Materials Science and Engineering (MSE) Master’s degree is a two-year programme taught entirely in English. It consists of three semesters of courses and an internship devoted to the preparation of the master thesis.
Candidates are expected to:
Have successfully completed third year of a Bachelor’s degree in Physics, Chemistry or Engineering,
Provide proof of English language proficiency (B2 level).
Place and Professors
- Mines Saint-Étienne, 158 Cours Fauriel, Saint-Étienne, France
- Academics from Mines Saint-Étienne
- Experts from the Industry
The diploma of Master of Science (MSc) is delivered jointly by Mines Saint-Etienne and the University Claude Bernard Lyon 1 after the validation of the training. It corresponds to 5 years of academic training or 300 ECTS.
GOAL OF THE MASTER
By following the MSE Master’s programme, you will develop an in-depth knowledge of the relationship between processing, microstructure and mechanical properties, which constitutes the core of the teaching programme. You will learn to master the main experimental and modelling methods in materials science. You will also receive a high level of general education, with particular emphasis on the major ecological and societal issues of the coming decades. The MSE Master’s degree will enable you to join the research and development departments of major industrial companies as a materials/metallurgy expert or to continue your studies in a doctoral thesis.
The last semester is devoted to the master thesis internship (5 to 6 months). It offers to students the opportunity of working on different real-life materials problems, in a university laboratory, or in a R&D centre of leading French or international companies. Each year, a large offer of diversified (and financially supported) placements is available.
This master prepares for PhD to be performed in France or abroad. The MSE Master also opens the doors for industrial research career, especially in the applicative and attractive fields of materials for energy, transport as well as health-related applications.
Industrial partners (non-exhaustive list) : Air Liquide, AREVA, Arcelor-Mittal, Aubert & Duval, CEA, Constellium, EDF, SAFRAN group, Vallourec…
- Mastering the process-microstructure-properties relationship of metals and alloys
- Selecting materials characterization methods and conduct experiments
- Building simple models in the field of materials science
- Professional written and oral scientific communication
- Professional communication in English
SEQUENCE OF COURSES
The MSE master’s program is composed of three academic semesters and a 5 to 6 month internship.
- Materials science / Metallurgy : 200h – 22 ECTS
- Materials mechanics and processes : 150h – 17 ECTS
- Material characterization : 150h – 17 ECTS
- Computing / Modelling : 150h – 17 ECTS
- Foreign languages : English or French
- Social and environmental responsibilities / Materials in society / Resources / Life cycle analysis / Re-using / Recycling
- Scientific writing and presenting / Bibliographic survey – Analysis of scientific papers
- Preparation to professional life / Project management
- Seminars : “Future of materials”
- Total : 150h – 17 ECTS
Implementation of skills
- Lab. project : 200h – 7 ECTS
- Internship : 5 to 6 months – 30 ECTS
Head of Materials Science and Engineering Master program
Administrative director of the training
École des MINES de Saint-Étienne
158, cours Fauriel
F-42023 Saint-Étienne cedex 2